Seasonal eating is something we are passionate about at Origins Market to ensure we are reducing food miles, employing sustainable farming practices and eating the most nutrient dense food we can source.
Origins Ambassador, Sarina Kamini has created a range of masala blends to balance mind and body, bringing each back into harmony with the other. Her Turmeric Masala brings the essential bitter element to cooking, helping to induce satiety, improve gut health, stimulate the digestive system and help in the absorption of other foods.
Her Sweet Potato Pakoras are perfect to make, utilising fresh and in season vegetables and the deeply restorative power of Turmeric.
SWEET POTATO PAKORAS
Makes 8 pakoras
- 2 CUPS VEGETABLE OIL FOR FRYING
- 1 LARGE SWEET POTATO, PEELED AND GRATED
- 1 EGG, WHISKED
- 1/2 CUP BESAN FLOUR
- 3 TSP TURMERIC MASALA
- 1/3 TSP WHITE SEA SALT
- IN A LARGE FRY PAN
- HEAT THE VEGETABLE OIL (ENOUGH TO SHALLOW FRY) ON HIGH HEAT.
- WHILE THE OIL IS HEATING, MIX TOGETHER THE GRATED SWEET POTATO, WHISKED EGG, BESAN FLOUR, SALT AND MASALA. MIX THROUGH UNTIL STICKY AND THEN FORM INTO FALAFEL-SIZED PUCKS.
- FRY IN HOT OIL UNTIL GOLDEN, FLIPPING TO COOK ON BOTH SIDES.
- SERVE HOT WITH RAITA AND SPICY APPLE PICKLE (RECIPE UNDER CHILLI MASALA), CHOP THROUGH A SALAD OR USE WRAPPED IN PITA WITH SALAD AND GARLICKY YOGHURT.