Greetings, fellow adventurers! If you’re a Perth resident, you’re in for a treat. The region “Down South” is a slice of paradise located just a stone’s throw away from the city. In this guide, we’ll unveil 5 places to visit down south Perth, each with its own unique charm, legends, and stories, for you to explore. And remember, while you embark on your “South of Perth” journey, Origins Market in Busselton eagerly awaits your visit to add a delightful twist to your adventures.
What to Expect:
Get ready to be captivated by the breathtaking landscapes, clear waters, and rich cultural experiences South of Perth. We’ve crafted a list of the top places to visit in this enchanting region, complete with activities, transportation details, dining options, and travel tips to make your summer unforgettable.
Top Places to Visit Down South perth:
1. Margaret River – The Wine Lover’s Haven
Location: Approximately 277 km from Perth
Renowned for its wineries, Margaret River is a paradise for wine enthusiasts. Explore world-class vineyards, indulge in wine tastings, and savour gourmet cuisine. Don’t forget to visit stunning beaches and breathtaking caves like Lake, Mammoth, and Jewel Caves.
- Activities and Experiences: Wine tours, surfing, cave exploration, beach picnics.
- How to Get There: By car, follow Bussell Highway south from Perth.
- Accommodation and Dining: Luxurious resorts, boutique hotels, local eateries.
- Travel Tips: Visit the Margaret River Gourmet Escape for a culinary extravaganza.
2. Dunsborough – Where Nature Meets Adventure
Location: Approximately 240 km from Perth
Dunsborough offers an enticing blend of stunning beaches and nature reserves. Snorkel at the famous Busselton Jetty, hike in Meelup Regional Park, and enjoy water sports at Geographe Bay.
- Activities and Experiences: Snorkelling, hiking, water sports, wildlife encounters.
- How to Get There: By car via Bussel Highway.
- Accommodation and Dining: Beachfront resorts, cozy cafes, seafood feasts.
- Travel Tips: Plan your visit for whale watching season from September to December.
3. Busselton – Where History and Beauty Unite
Location: Approximately 220 km from Perth
Busselton is home to the iconic Busselton Jetty, a whopping 1.8 kilometres long! Stroll along this historic jetty, visit the underwater observatory, and explore the vibrant foreshore.
- Activities and Experiences: Jetty walks, underwater observatory tours, beachside picnics.
- How to Get There: By car or via train from Perth.
- Accommodation and Dining: Beachside resorts, seafood shacks, local markets.
- Travel Tips: Take a ride on the Jetty Train for fantastic views of Geographe Bay.
4. Esperance – Nature’s Artistry at Its Best
Location: Approximately 720 km from Perth
Esperance boasts some of the most pristine beaches in Australia. White sandy shores, clear blue waters, and the famous Pink Lake await you. Take a scenic drive along the Great Ocean Drive, which offers breathtaking views of coastal beauty.
- Activities and Experiences: Beachcombing, Pink Lake exploration, scenic coastal drives.
- How to Get There: By car via Albany Highway.
- Accommodation and Dining: Coastal retreats, beachfront cafes, seafood delights.
- Travel Tips: Witness the Pink Lake at its vibrant best during summer.
5. Albany – History, Whales, and Stunning Coastlines
Location: Approximately 410 km from Perth
Albany is a coastal gem with a rich history and remarkable natural beauty. Visit the historic Whaling Station, stroll along the famous Natural Bridge, and embark on a whale-watching adventure.
- Activities and Experiences: Whaling history exploration, coastal walks, whale watching.
- How to Get There: By car via Albany Highway.
- Accommodation and Dining: Charming inns, coastal restaurants, local markets.
- Travel Tips: Join a whale-watching tour from June to October for a chance to spot magnificent humpback and southern right whales.
For your convenience, here is a map with markers displaying these fabulous destinations, helping you navigate through the region with ease.
How to Get There:
Driving to these destinations is the most convenient option. Simply follow the highways mentioned for each location. For a more relaxed journey, there are guided tours available that allow you to sit back and enjoy the scenery.
Accommodation and Dining:
Whether you prefer a luxurious resort, a cozy cabin, or a beachfront campsite, the South of Perth has you covered. Savor fresh seafood at local restaurants, and don’t miss the chance to explore bustling markets for delectable regional produce.
- Best Times to Visit: Summer (December to February) for ideal beach weather.
- Entrance Fees: Some attractions may have nominal entrance fees, so it’s good to check in advance.
- Safety Precautions: Always adhere to safety guidelines, especially for beach activities and wildlife encounters.
As you embark on your journey “Down South,” remember that Origins Market in Busselton is your oasis for unique culinary experiences and artisanal treasures. Our doors are open, welcoming you to explore the beauty, flavours, and culture of Busselton. Enjoy your adventure, and don’t forget to make Origins Market your stopover for an extra touch of magic on your summer journey.